Blumenthal Statement Marking Six-Month Anniversary Of Sandy Hook Tragedy

(Washington, DC) – Today, U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) issued a statement marking the six-month anniversary of the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Earlier this afternoon, Blumenthal joined Newtown families and his colleagues in the House and Senate to discuss the future of gun violence legislation in Congress.

“On this sixth-month anniversary of the unimaginable Newtown tragedy, we must redouble our efforts to keep faith with the courageous families and community that continue to inspire us with their resolve and resilience – many who met with my colleagues and I this week to mark the anniversary by speaking truth to power. 

“This unspeakable tragedy transformed America and put us on an unstoppable trajectory toward making America safer. While December 14 was a day of searing sadness, April 17 was a day of shame – a day when the Senate said ‘No’ to sensible gun violence reforms. 

“Though the Senate said ‘No’ to America, our nation will not take ‘No’ for an answer. We will bring back reform measures and say to the special interests: ‘You won the first vote, but we will win the last. And the last vote is the one that counts.’ And to anyone who says, ‘the momentum has diminished,’ we say, ‘listen to the Newtown families and community, they are not giving up and neither are we.’ 

“I will work with redoubled determination to pass sensible gun violence reforms –  inspired by the great educators and beautiful children who perished six months ago, and by all who have pledged that their lives shall not be lost in vein. We are so close – and I hope we can change minds and votes before another sixth-month anniversary is reached.”