Harwinton, New Canaan, Groton, Scotland, Stratford, Willimantic and New London to Receive FEMA Grants Totaling $1,175,297
(Hartford, CT)—Today, U.S. Senators Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn) and Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) and U.S. Representatives Rosa DeLauro (CT-3), Joe Courtney (CT-2), Jim Himes (CT-4), and Elizabeth Esty (CT-5) announced Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Assistance to Firefighter Grants (AFG) totaling $1,090,422 to fire departments in Harwinton, New Canaan, Groton, Scotland, Stratford, and Willimantic. In addition, New London will receive a FEMA Fire Prevention and Safety Grant totaling $84,875.
“Firefighters put their lives on the line and deserve to have the most up-to-date equipment and resources available to do their jobs safely and effectively. This round of federal funding will ensure that fire departments across Connecticut can continue to save lives and keep our communities safe,” said the members.
The full breakdown of the awards is below:
· Harwinton, CT: $ 97,524 for Firefighter Breathing Apparatus
· New Canaan, CT: $ 14,286 for Vehicle Extrication equipment and a Thermal Imaging Camera
· Poquonnock Bridge FD, Groton, CT: $ 42,858 for a fire diesel exhaust removal system
· Scotland, CT: $17,572 for Firefighting Hose
· Stratford, CT: $ 59,091 for an Air Compressor – Air Refill System
· Willimantic FD, Windham, CT: $ 859,091 for an Aerial Truck
· New London, CT : $84,875 for Fire Safety Education Programs