Skip to primary navigation Skip to main content

Get Help

Helping the people of Connecticut is my number one priority. Dealing with federal agencies and programs can be very time-consuming, confusing and frustrating for most people. I stand ready to help you with your federal government problems, no matter how big or small those problems may be.

I have a dedicated staff of Constituent Liaisons whose job it is to help me assist Connecticut residents with their issues. From the Social Security Administration and Veterans Affairs to the Internal Revenue Service and the Department of State and everything in between, we can help you understand your rights and responsibilities relative to the agencies and their programs and help you navigate the federal bureaucracy to solve your problem.

Whether you are having trouble getting a loan modification for your mortgage or you can’t find affordable health insurance, I want to hear from you. Along the side of this page, you will see a number of general topics that I am frequently asked to help Connecticut residents with. Clicking on one of those topics will bring you to a page with information on that specific issue and an online form and privacy release that you can fill out and submit to request assistance. Please note that the Privacy Act of 1974 requires that I obtain your direct authorization before my office can contact a federal agency on your behalf. It is extremely important that you fill out, sign and send me the privacy release form, so that I can help you.

If your issue is urgent or time sensitive, please call my Hartford office at 860-258-6940.

I look forward to assisting you.

Richard Blumenthal

My office can help you if...

  • You are a Connecticut resident.  If you are a resident of another state, please contact your U.S. Senators or U.S. Representative.
  • Your problem is with a federal government agency or program.

What my office can do for you...

  • Act as a liaison with federal agencies
  • Assist with applying for benefits, such as Social Security or Medicare
  • Help you obtain basic information from a federal agency
  • Submit an inquiry with a federal agency on your behalf
  • Request information or a status report
  • Request that an agency consider or reconsider your case 

What my office cannot do...

  • Force a federal agency to act in your favor or speed up your case
  • Overturn or influence a judge’s decision
  • Provide legal advice

My office may refer you elsewhere for the following issues:

State Issues

While I strive to help Connecticut residents with their problems, even if they do not involve the federal government, I have no authority or jurisdiction over state or municipal agencies.  I will do my best to help you, but you may also want to contact your state senator or state representative.  The State of Connecticut’s website,, also has links to every state agency and the Governor’s office, which may also be of use if you have a state issue.

Judicial Issues

If you need legal help or have a question about pending litigation, our office cannot intervene. The separation of powers between the legislative branch (Congress) and the judicial branch, where legal issues are decided prohibits our office from intervening. This includes questions about criminal trials or imprisonment, deportation proceedings, child custody issues, and civil lawsuits.
If you need legal advice, you may wish to visit the Connecticut Bar Association's lawyer referral service or contact Statewide Legal Services of Connecticut.

Child Support

If you have an existing child support order and need assistance with enforcement or modification of the order, you should contact the Connecticut Judicial Branch’s Support Enforcement Services.
If you do not have an existing child support order and want to establish one, you should contact the Connecticut Department of Social Services’ Bureau of Child Support Enforcement (BCSE).  Under Federal regulations, BCSE is required to provide child support services to any individual or agency upon request. To request BCSE child support services, an individual may either apply through their local child support agency or submit their request to BCSE directly.

Other concerns regarding orders of visitation or custody should be handled by your private attorney and must be determined by a judge.